Area football teams’ playoff game capsules. All games played on Friday. All times CST.
Region 1-1A semifinal
Cottondale (4-5) at Bratt Northview (7-3), 7:30 p.m.
- How they advanced: Cottondale — Finished as runner-up in District 2-1A; Northview: Won the District 1-1A championship for the second straight season.
- Marquee victories: Cottondale — 36-21 over Sneads Oct. 26 to clinch at least second place in the district, 34-13 over Vernon Oct. 5 in a convincing victory over the defending district champion; Northview — 40-6 over Baker Nov. 2 to lock down the district crown, 50-29 over Chipley Sept. 14 in a rematch of last year’s state semifinal.
- Worst defeat(s): Cottondale — 41-14 against Graceville Nov. 2 in a battle to determine the district title, 48-22 against Bozeman in the regular-season finale Nov. 9 in a matchup of a potential playoff pairing; Northview — 44-20 against Gulf Breeze Sept. 28.
- All-time playoff records: Cottondale — 2-7; Northview — 4-8.
- Last year’s playoff results: Cottondale — Did not qualify; Northview — Beat Wewahitchka 67-14 in the regional semifinal (first round), defeated Freeport 43-13 for the Region 1-1A title, lost to Chipley 25-21 in the state semifinal.
- Notes: Cottondale last appeared in the playoffs in 2010 with a run that ended in the opening round. … The Hornets were 1-9 in 2011 and doubled that win total in Week 3 this season. … Northview is unbeaten against 1A opponents with its three losses coming to schools in 4A and 5A. … The Chiefs have won four of their last six games. … The Hornets have lost two in a row and three of their last four. … Cottondale has never played at home in the postseason and is 2-7 on the road. … This is Northview’s ninth home playoff game with the Chiefs possessing a 3-5 mark. … Northview has won its past two playoff openers, while Cottondale has dropped its last three postseason contests.
- Up next: Freeport (5-5) or Graceville (8-2) in the regional championship Nov. 23.
Region 1-1A semifinal
Freeport (5-5) at Graceville (8-2), 7:30 p.m.
- How they advanced: Freeport — Was second in District 1-1A; Graceville — Won the District 2-1A championship with a 4-0 record.
- Marquee victories: Freeport — 46-7 over Jay Nov. 2 to clinch the runner-up berth, 27-7 over Graceville Sept. 28; Graceville — 41-14 over Cottondale to win the district title, 42-41 over Chipley in the final regular season game last week.
- Worst defeat(s): Freeport — 42-0 against Northview Oct. 19, 39-13 against Chipley Oct. 26; Graceville — 38-0 against Liberty County in the season opener Aug. 31, 27-7 against Freeport Sept. 28.
- All-time playoff records: Freeport — 6-7; Graceville — 24-16 with two 1A state titles (1988, ‘93).
- Last year’s playoff results: Freeport — Defeated Vernon 32-18 in the regional semifinal (first round), lost to Northview 43-13 in the region championship; Graceville — Did not qualify.
- Notes: Graceville returns to the regional tournament for the first time since 2008, which was the last of a four-year run that included a runner-up finish in the inaugural Class 1B championship game in 2005. … Graceville has won six straight games since losing to Freeport. … Graceville was within 14-7 during the regular-season meeting, but Freeport pulled away in the second half. … The Bulldogs have qualified for the playoffs in four straight seasons. … Freeport is 1-4 in road playoff games, while Graceville is 18-7 at home in the regional draw. … The teams have never played in the postseason.
- Up next: Cottondale (4-5) or Northview (7-3) in the regional championship Nov. 23.
Region 2-1A semifinal
Bozeman (8-2) at Liberty County (8-2), 6:30 p.m.
- How they advanced: Bozeman — Was 2-1 and wrapped up a second-place finish in District 3-1A; Liberty County — Amassed a 4-0 record and won the District 4-1A title a year after placing second.
- Marquee victories: Bozeman — 46-27 over South Walton Nov. 2 to lock down the playoff berth, 49-14 over Chipley Oct. 19 to set up the opportunity to clinch; Liberty County — 26-25 in overtime over Port St. Joe in the finale to earn the district title; 20-7 over Blountstown Oct. 19 to take control of its destiny.
- Worst defeat(s): Bozeman — 39-20 against Holmes County Sept. 21, 27-18 against Liberty County Oct. 12; Liberty County — 13-12 against Bay Sept. 7, 26-17 against Marianna Sept. 14 for a two-game slide.
- All-time playoff records: Bozeman — 0-1; Liberty County — 11-17.
- Last year’s playoff results: Bozeman — Did not qualify; Liberty County — Lost to Holmes County 35-14 in the regional semifinal (first round).
- Notes: Liberty County won the regular-season matchup without starting quarterback Dustin Watson and running back Alex Marlowe among other injured players. … Bozeman has won four in a row. … Liberty County is on a seven-game winning streak. … The Bulldogs have advanced to the playoffs in each of the past four seasons under coach Grant Grantham, but they are only 1-3 in the previous three trips. … The Bucks are on the road for the second time, their previous trip a loss to South Walton in 2008. … The Bulldogs are 10-6 in home playoff games.
- Up next: Blountstown (6-4) or Holmes County (7-2) in the regional championship Nov. 23.
Region 2-1A semifinal
Blountstown (6-4) at Holmes County (7-2), 7:30 p.m.
- How they advanced: Blountstown — Finished 3-1 and in second in District 4-1A; Holmes County — Was 3-0 in securing the District 3-1A title for a second straight season.
- Marquee victories: Blountstown — 27-0 over West Gadsden Nov. 2 to clinch second place, 14-6 over Port St. Joe Sept. 21; Holmes County — 38-16 over Chipley Nov. 2 for the district title, 20-0 over Blountstown Aug. 31 in the season opener for both teams.
- lWorst defeat(s): Blountstown — 20-0 against Holmes County, 20-7 against Liberty County in a battle for district supremacy; Holmes County — 34-0 against Marianna Nov. 9, 28-20 against Port St. Joe Sept. 28.
- All-time playoff records: Blountstown — 20-16 with three 2A state titles (‘73, ‘76, ‘77); Holmes County — 18-10 with one Class B state title (1965).
- Last year’s playoff results: Blountstown — Lost to Chipley 34-33 in the regional semifinal (first round); Holmes County — Surged past Liberty County 35-14 in the regional semifinal (first round), ousted by Chipley 27-6 in the regional championship.
- Notes: Holmes County is making a repeat appearance after a long drought that began in 2003. … Blountstown has qualified in each of the last four seasons and has appeared in the playoffs in nine of the past 10 years. … The Tigers gave up 20 or more points in their first three games, but haven’t allowed a team to eclipse the mark since. … The Blue Devils have won three of their last four games, while the Tigers have lost three of their last five. … The teams have met once in the postseason with Holmes County taking a 13-0 win in a Class 2A matchup in 1979. … Holmes County is 6-5 while hosting regional games and Blountstown is 8-11 on the road.
- Up next: Bozeman (8-2) or Liberty County (8-2) in the regional championship Nov. 23.