Region 1-5A softball: Ponte Vedra ends Mosley's season

Published: Monday, May 5, 2014 at 10:11 PM.

PONTE VEDRA BEACH — An untimely change of an umpiring crew left Mosley softball coach Brian Wilke uncertain if his team competed on a level playing field Monday in the Region 1-5A finals.

Not long after Mosley suffered a 1-0 loss to Ponte Vedra in the Region 1-5A finals, the typically mild-mannered, soft-spoken Wilke was bothered by what he described as “something fishy” relating to the umpire crew overseeing the game on the Sharks’ home field.

Wilke said he was notified by Ponte Vedra’s athletic director shortly before the game that an umpiring crew from Tallahassee had canceled and would not oversee the contest that would determine the region’s entrant in this week’s Class 5A state semifinals.

“He said, ‘We’ve got to change umpires, and we’ve got this group from near here that can come and do it in an hour,’ ” Wilke said. “I’ve been around a lot, and experience tells me something is not right. It might be something simple. I might be blowing it up too big. But something’s not right. I know umpires have a tough job. I’ve done it. I know they can mess up. But this is a situation I am not comfortable with.”

At the heart of the issue after the game, Wilke said, was the bottom of the fifth inning when Ponte Vedra scored the game’s only run. Claudio Cotto singled with one out, and Taylor Bradshaw and Morgan Podany each walked with two outs to load the bases. Jacobson fell behind 1-2 in the count against Mosley starter Katie Lopes but worked the count full. She fouled off two pitches before drawing a walk that drove in Cotto with the eventual game-winning run.

“They definitely missed some pitches in that inning,” Wilke said. “I let them know about it, but you can’t argue balls and strikes too long. … Some of those were strike three. … Katie has never walked three in one inning in her life.”

Because of the original umpires’ cancellation, the game was delayed nearly an hour. Wilke said his team had just finished warming up for the game when it was notified of the delay, and he said he was “proud of my girls” for playing through the logistical hiccups on the road.

1 2 3

Reader comments posted to this article may be published in our print edition. All rights reserved. This copyrighted material may not be re-published without permission. Links are encouraged.

▲ Return to Top